Trump sells Qatar $12 billion arms days after accusing it of funding terrorism
< div data-page="1"data-page-hidden="0"data-use-autolinker=" incorrect "> WASHINGTON– While President Trump berates Qatar for sponsoring terrorism at the highest levels, he is concurrently licensing the country to acquire over $21 billion of U.S. weapons.
“We are happy to announce today the signing of the letter of offer and acceptance for the purchase of the F-15QA fighter jets, with a preliminary expense of $12 billion dollars,” checked out the Qatari Defense Minister’s declaration on Wednesday afternoon. “We believe that this agreement will move Qatar’s ability to provide for its own security while likewise minimizing the problem placed upon the United States military in carrying out operations versus violent extremism.”
The State Department describes this sale as fermenting U.S. efforts to “reinforce the security and defense architecture of the region.” They explain that it does not straight dispute with the existing local conflict as it will take years to finish and fill the sale completely.
“We are confident that Qatar can address its remaining concerns within this timeframe, prior to shipment,” explains a State Department authorities.
Qataris had scheduled Wednesday’s trip to formalize portions of this arms deal with the United States federal government about two months ago, according to Qatari and State Department authorities. They want these weapons. In spite of growing stress and Mr. Trump’s duplicated hardline position versus their support of Iran and local terrorist groups, the Qataris came because they desire the weapons. “We are dealing with the procedure associated to the finalizing,”stated one Qatari authorities on Wednesday morning. “It is normal. We are in the stage where we want to settle this deal.”
Qataris say the offer shows the “long standing commitment” Qatar has to dealing with the U.S.The full arms sale, of over $20 billion, was alerted in November 2016. This implies it had actually currently been authorized by congress and the executive branch, when President Obama remained in office, before the Trump administration entered into office. Ultimately, Qatar is set to get 36 American-made F15s.In the face of the intensifying tensions Qataris concerned D.C. with a big entourage– anticipating to begin on the escalating local standoff. However there is no sign of development. The State Department has yet to extend a main ask for a joint meeting in between agents that remain in the country’s capitol from Qatar, the UAE and Saudi Arabia. Qatar says have still not got the list of needs that the countries have for them. The United States has actually not contributed in passing along request, either.On Tuesday
morning, Tillerson met with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubier. He stood quietly as Jubier stated to press reporters that there “is no obstruction of Qatar.” Tillerson will have a working supper with UAE Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan on Wednesday night.
There has actually been absolutely nothing on his public schedule with Qatari leaders. Though Qatar has sent out a team, consisting of people from Qatar Central Bank, to the State Department to talk about the matter at a technical level. Last week, Tillerson required an easing of the Qatari ban – but hour later Mr. Trump did not echo those sentiments.There are more than
10,000 U.S. service members at the United States central command base in Qatar. The United States commander there has actually said there are” no strategies to change our posture in Qatar “in the middle of a Gulf diplomatic crisis. Qatar is fast to advise the U.S. of this working relationship.”When nobody wished to host your soldiers after 9/11, we did. We protected them. Saudi Arabia asked you to leave,” said Meshal bin Jamad al Thani, the Qatari ambassador to the U.S. Qataris believe that the blockade of their country is politically encouraged by the Saudis in an effort to bend their muscle in the region.Yousef Al Otaiba, the United Arab Emirates Ambassador to the U.S., has suggested that the U.S. consider moving their base there. Qatar has actually received no indications of U.S. plans to do so, and they are not asking them to leave or change their operations in any method.” None of our people attacked the United States,”said Kuwari, a nod to the Saudis who were included in the Sept 11th terrorist attacks.