Health

15 Fascinating Facts About Epilepsy

By  | 

Epilepsy, also called seizure disorder, is a serious illness in which a man experiences a sudden surge of electric activity in the brain, changing how they feel or behave. There are many descriptions of this illness in television (all of which are totally wrong and for storyline reasons only). Being afflicted with the most patchable type of this disorder, the most exact description would be to tighten all your muscles as hard as possible, past the point of distress. You’re beginning to cramp, are’t you? Now conceptualize this: while your muscles are tightening, you’re repeatedly bashing your appendages and your head against other solid things (don’t attempt). His muscles have been stressed to the stage that it distressing to do so, although it’s a disquieting scene to see a guy trying to stand on his own two feet. In order to enlighten some of you about epilepsy, the subsequent list is fifteen facts I’ve learned about epilepsy through injury, research and treatment.

1
Facts 15-11

5995-0550X0475

15. Hippocrates wrote the first novel on epilepsy, On the Sacred Disease, around maintaining that people who have epilepsy didn’t have the power of prophecy, understanding that it was a brain disorder and 400 BC.

14. Single tonic-clonic (otherwise referred to as grand mal) seizures lasting less than 5-10 minutes aren’t known to cause brain damage, contrary to the belief that seizures cause brain damage, they’re really more likely to come from head injury.

13. It’s not possible to swallow your tongue during a seizure; you cannot consume your tongue can you?

12. There have been some recent consequences that have induced many to believe epilepsy goes together with depression and stress.

11. Like a diabetic who’s misinterpreted as a drunk driver, epileptics can frequently have a seizure that manifests itself as eccentric behaviour, for example: repeating exactly the same word, not crying, talking gibberish, undressing, or replying to questions. (In my situation I was considered a danger to a whole classroom while I was suffering from a seizure of this nature.)

2
Facts 10-6

Seizure Threshold

10. Early in the 19th century, people who have severe epilepsy were cared for in asylums, but among the reasons they were kept independent from psychiatric patients was because of the misconception that seizures were infectious.

9. Everyone is born with a seizure threshold. You’re likely to have a seizure if your threshold is high. Yet specific actions or matters, known as causes, can lower your threshold, including drinking alcohol, sleep deprivation, anxiety, sickness, flickering lights and hormones (for girls mainly) can have an impact on your own seizure threshold.

8. Just in about 30% of instances is the basis for epilepsy driven. In what’s referred to as idiopathic epilepsy, the other 70% remain unanswered.

7. About 1 in 20 epileptics are sensitive to flickering light, or photosensitive epilepsy. Change in light, or the comparison, can activate a seizure.

6. The official colour for Epilepsy Knowledge is Lavender, with the pantone swatch of PMS 2593.

3
Facts 5-1

Tev61370

5. Towards the beginning of the 20th century, some US states had laws prohibiting people who have epilepsy become or to marry parents, some allowing sterilization.

4. Seizures have a start, middle, and ending. The start, referred to as the atmosphere, jamais vu and can have hints of the oncoming seizure for example odors, sounds, flavors, lightheadedness, or deja. The center, is the seizure itself, whether it be a simple partial seizure, or a grand mal seizure. The ending of the seizure is called the postictal period and is the brain recuperating, which can take anywhere from seconds to hours and is generally accompanied with disorientation and memory loss.

3. The appropriate treatment for someone having a tonic-clonic seizure isn’t what you see in TV shows (multiple individuals pressing their body weight down on a grabbing man). Here’s what you should do: Pay attention to the length of time the seizure continues, go things they could strike out of the area, just block their means to prevent them from going too far (or into water, fall off a bed, etc.). Place on their side after the episode and do’t place anything in their own mouth. In case it continues for more than five minutes call an ambulance.

2. Diazepam, or Diastat, is the medication used to treat a prolonged seizure or cluster of seizures. It’s a gel provided in a plastic applicator that sadly, needs to be added rectally.

1. Epilepsy is generally not a lifelong illness, with only 25% of those who develop seizures growing not easy to control seizures. And in my experience, those that have seizure disorders that are lifelong have more serious illnesses at play.

[adinserter block="6"]